Complainants Jenelle Tenessy Canlas-Buan and Joseph Cordova Canlas charged the CIDG-RFU 3, Angeles City District Jail, and BJMP Region 3 officials with Reckless Imprudence resulting in Homicide defined and penalized under Article 365 of the Revised Penal Code as amended by R.A. 10951; Violations of Section 9 (c) and (d) of R.A. No. 11332; and with the administrative offenses of Grave Misconduct, Gross Neglect of Duty, Gross Ignorance of the Law, Inefficiency, and Incompetence in the Performance of Official Duties, and Conduct Prejudicial to the Best Interest of the Service, for the tragic and untimely death of their father — Central Luzon peasant leader Jose ‘Joseph’ T. Canlas due to complications from COVID 19 which he acquired while in detention.
Atty. Erickson Dela Cruz represented the Canlas family in the filing at the Ombudsman’s Office in Quezon City.
Those charged are the following:
- PCOL. EDWIN C. BALLES, the Regional Chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group Regional Field Unit 3 (CIDG RFU 3).
- PMAJ. ALFREDO F. AGBUYA JR., Chief of the Investigation Branch of the CIDG RFU 3.
- JCSUPT. LYNDON D. TORRES, the Regional Director of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology Regional Office-III (BJMP Region 3).
- JSUPT. REBECCA MANALO-TIGUELO, the Warden of the Angeles District Jail Male Dormitory.
- SJO3 CAROLINE D SANCHEZ, the Chief Nurse of the Angeles City District Jail.
- JO1 Ma. Christine C. Boucher, the jail staff nurse of the Angeles City District Jail.